Your family is going to LOVE this kid-approved spaghetti bolognese recipe. Because, let’s face it, – kids love pasta!
This is such a great recipe because it introduces kids to different flavors (rather than just plain old marinara sauce) and you can make it easily from scratch. That means no scary processed, sugary, store-bought sauce!
Bonus, it freezes great for when you don’t have an opportunity to prep or cook. As a working mom, this happens all too often.
It’s not hard to imagine how this recipe is one of my “On the Table in 15 Minutes”. I do all the prep work the night before! Yep, I make the sauce completely in advance. The great thing is that it tastes even better the second day as the flavors all blend together in the fridge. (Psst… check out another one of my 15 minute meals, Korean Bulgogi)
15 minute meals is one of the ways I thrive at being a working mom!
Honestly, I’m pretty lazy. After the sauce is mostly cool after cooking, I throw the whole darn pot in the fridge…
Then when it’s time for dinner…
(1) Simply take the sauce pot out of the fridge and put it on the stove
(2) Heat up some boiling water to make your pasta-of-choice (spaghetti is the most traditional, but it can be hard for kids to eat)
(3) Prep your veggies. I love cutting up raw veggies (like peppers and carrots) or throwing frozen ones in the microwave.
This recipe makes a double batch, meaning that after cooking I divide into two portions. One to eat the next day, and another to freeze for a later date.
Now for the recipe, enjoy!!
All Natural & Yummy Homemade Spaghetti Bolognese
- Olive oil
- 2lb ground beef
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- Garlic 2-4 cloves (chopped)
- Box of strained tomatoes
- 4 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups stock (beef, chicken, etc.)
- 1 cup dry(ish) red wine
- 1 tbsp Italian dried herbs
- Heat a little olive oil over medium heat in a large saucepan or pot.
- Add beef and onions to cook. When the beef is almost done, add the garlic (so you can make sure it doesn’t burn). Drain off fat.
- Add the strained tomatoes, stock, wine, herbs, and salt/pepper to taste. Mix all together and put the lid on. Simmer on low for 20 minutes.
- Remove the lid and simmer for another 20 minutes (or longer if you need to reduce more liquid).
"On the Table in 15 Minutes" recipe by themomsatodds.com