Grandparents play an essential role in the lives of their grandchildren! And what better way to bond than with some fun-filled grandparent activities?
Grandparents can be a vital part of your child’s life, not only during holidays and special events, but also through daily activities. With the right ideas, you can make sure time spent with your grandkids is both fun and educational.
Let’s explore some exciting and engaging grandparent activities that you can enjoy with your grandchildren that will create lasting memories for years to come.
Disclaimer: This page contains affiliate links. See our disclosure policy for more details.
In This Guide:
25 Fun and Engaging Grandparent Activities with Your Grandkids
Here are some kid-approved grandparent activities guaranteed to keep your grandkids entertained!
- Go to the zoo or aquarium
- Take a cooking or baking class together
- Build and fly kites
- Visit a local museum or art gallery
- Have a picnic in the park
- Plant and maintain a garden together
- Go on a hike or nature walk
- Attend a sporting event or concert
- Camp or “glamp” together
- Take a trip to a nearby beach or lake
- Create art projects or crafts together (like these adorable painted rocks!)
- Play board games or cards
- Go to a theme park or amusement park
- Have a movie or game night
- Try new sports or activities such as kayaking or rock climbing.
- Go to the library and read together. This can be especially helpful if parents schedules don’t allow them to go to story times and library events that grandparents may have the flexibility to attend.
- FaceTime or Zoom regularly for long-distance grandparents to stay involved.
- Do puzzles together.
- Mail cards or letters. Kids love to get mail and this is a great idea for grandparents who don’t live nearby.
- Make a photo album or scrapbook together.
- Tell them stories about yourself and their parents as kids.
- Play online games together.
- Teach them a useful skill, like sewing, knitting, woodworking, or how to fix something.
- Make a gift for their parents together.
- Take them swimming at a local pool or water park or even a mini pool in the yard.
How Can I Be a Fun Grandparent?
First and foremost, you can be a fun grandparent by spending plenty of quality time with your grandchildren. Be sure to carve out time to spend with your grandchildren regularly. Go on outings (we’ve suggested so many grandparent activities above!), play games, read books, and just have fun together.
Listen and be present. Grandchildren love to feel heard and valued, who better to hear them than a grandparent. Be an attentive listener during conversations and spend time with them without distractions.
Another way to be a fun grandparent is to share your interests with them. Introduce your grandchildren to your hobbies and interests. Teach them new skills or share stories from your own life experiences.
Don’t forget to be playful! Get silly with your grandchildren. Play games, dance, sing, and act silly together. Have a sense of humor and be willing to laugh and play along with your grandchildren’s antics.
And of course make sure to also stay active and engage in physical activities with your grandchildren, such as going on walks, playing games, or swimming.
Display your affection and love for your grandchildren through hugs, compliments, and spending quality time with them. Establish traditions that your grandchildren can look forward to when they visit. This could be anything from baking cookies together to going on a yearly trip.
And finally, be open to learning new things from your grandchildren, and be willing to teach them about your own experiences and knowledge. On a similar note, try to stay up-to-date with technology. Learn how to use technology that interests your grandchildren, such as social media, video games, or apps that they enjoy using. This can help bridge the generational gap and make you feel more connected.
What Can Grandparents Do for Their Grandchildren?
Grandparents provide all kinds of support for their grandchildren, from emotional to fun and everything in between. There are so many ways they can show their love to the next generation!
We love when grandparents help pass down family values and traditions. They can also share fun family stories and powerful experiences.
Grandparents can teach new skills, share their expertise, and support a grandchild’s education. They can also help out their children by providing childcare and helping with household chores.
Spending quality time together has been shown to have benefits for both grandchildren and grandparents.
And, of course, you can take your grandchildren on outings and other fun adventures like we suggested above!
What are some of your favorite grandparent activities? Let us know in the comments below!