If the Thanksgiving holiday has you in the mood for pumpkin or you need a festive, last-minute snack to share with friends and family, this ridiculously easy (only 2 ingredient) pumpkin muffins recipe is perfect for you.
These muffins are a fall favorite in our house. They are super quick and easy… just cake mix and pumpkin… yep, that’s it.
I don’t even pull out my mixer most of the time and just stir it together.
The batter is pretty thick, so adding a little water to thin it can make them a bit easier to scoop and give a smoother appearance on top, but isn’t really necessary either. They taste awesome either way.
My favorite thing about these is that you can easily switch them up for variety.
For instance, you can use any flavor cake mix. I really like the spice cake for the autumn taste, but seriously, they are all good! Also, you can throw in some chocolate chips or raisins.
Finally, these are great plain, but I also love to top them with powdered sugar or cream cheese frosting.
Enjoy and Happy Thanksgiving!
- 1 box of cake mix (15.25 oz) - any flavor!
- 1 can of pumpkin (15 oz)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix together pumpkin and cake mix.
- Prepare your muffin tin. I like to use liners for easy clean up. You can also make them without liners, just be sure to grease your pan first.
- Spoon prepared batter into muffin tin and bake for 20-25 min.
Pumpkin Muffins FAQs:
This Recipe has been very popular and we’ve seen some of the same questions come up a few times:
Do I need to make the cake mix according to the box first?
- No. Just mix the pumpkin and the dry cake mix. That’s all, just those 2 ingredients. Adding these ingredients won’t mess up the recipe though, and you may even like the consistency better with them.
Can I add eggs, oil, or the other cake ingredients?
- Yes, you can, but then it isn’t a 2 ingredient recipe so that’s why I didn’t add them here. This recipe can be modified so many different ways. Pumpkin can be a used as a substitute for butter or oil (for instance if you want to make your muffin/cupcakes/cake dairy free). So you could simply replace the oil or butter with pumpkin, if you like.
The mix is too thick, what do I do?
- The mix will be really really really thick. That’s fine. If you want, you can thin it with a little water. Start with a table spoon or two until its the consistency you prefer. I’ve added up to a quarter of a cup before and it turned out fine. It does make the tops of the muffins look prettier, but otherwise I don’t notice much difference.
Can I bake this as a loaf, cake, or mini muffin?
- Yes, but you’ll have to adjust the baking time. For a glass loaf pan, bake ~55 minutes. For mini muffins, bake ~15 minutes. I have tried other size pans yet, so if you do, share your results and how long you baked it for in the comments below!
While you’re here, check out these insanely easy and delicious flavored pancakes!
We really appreciate all of the support and shares this recipe has received! Please keep sharing your modifications and toppings which have been so delicious! We love to hear from you!